When I was upgrading my SQL Server 2017 instance to SQL Server 2019 from a mounted ISO file, I encountered an error message during the upgrade process, “An error occurred for a dependency of the feature causing the setup process for the feature to fail.”. You can see the error in the illustration below.
At first, it was not clear what the cause of this error was. First, I looked at the summary log by clicking on the hyperlink provided by the above window to look for more information. Scrolling down in the log, I found several errors related to failed components:
After some google search, it seems to be some sort of bug with SQL 2019 setup and issue is related to pre-installed SSMS.
However, in the end, it turned out to be an issue with the SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) versions 18.0, 18.1, 18.2 and 18.3, if they were preinstalled on the server before attempting to install SQL Server 2019.
What worked for me was taking the content of the mounted SQL Server 2019 ISO file and copying it to a local drive. After this, I restarted the installation ,and it worked without any problems.
This was found in Microsoft documentation:
We have below workarounds:
- On existing machines, where SSMS 18.3 or lower is already installed.
- Uninstall SQL Server 2012 Native Client which got installed with SSMS. Then install SQL Server 2019. OR
- Instead of running setup from mounted ISO, copy the content of media to a local drive or a network share and start setup.exe from those locations.
- On new machines, where SSMS is NOT installed.
- First install SQL Server 2019 and then install SSMS 18.3 OR
- Install version of SSMS greater than 18.3.1 and then install SQL Server 2019